Author Topic: Show Off your Roaster  (Read 25746 times)

Tex

Re: Show Off your Roaster
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2010, 08:21:04 PM »

Yet another shameless Wisconsin plug.

You have no idea how hard it is to be humble when you live in Wisconsin.

B|Java

Keep that to yourself.  We don't want Tex moving up here; we'd have to leave.

Go ahead and yell it from the mountain: No thanks - Tex doesn't live anywhere that cold - Seattle was bad enough!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2010, 08:41:06 PM »

Yet another shameless Wisconsin plug.

You have no idea how hard it is to be humble when you live in Wisconsin.

B|Java

Keep that to yourself.  We don't want Tex moving up here; we'd have to leave.

Go ahead and yell it from the mountain: No thanks - Tex doesn't live anywhere that cold - Seattle was bad enough!

That whooshing sound you just heard was a collective sigh of relief.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

somegeek

« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2010, 08:38:48 PM »
Here is one of my roaster.... sort of.

It's a traditional roaster from Ethiopia.  They put hot coals in the bottom Clay chamber and then once hot, put green coffee on the metal pan.  They roast the beans, crush them and make coffee in a clay pot (see one in show off your espresso machine topic)

http://www.epicurean.com/articles/ethiopian-coffee-ceremony.html

That's pretty sweet.

somegeek

« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2010, 08:50:20 PM »

All parts from Goodwill:
Base is from a Toastmaster
Bowl for insulation mounted to breadmachine base.
Drilled out the mounted paddle from the stock bread bowl and mounted to a saucepan.
Black and Decker head gun.
Cutting board material for the base.

100+ roasts and going strong.

In action...

My cooling setup...

Found the colander at Goodwill - couldn't ask for a more perfect fit - drops right in and seats perfectly.  Knocked off the handles and feet(spot welded on) with a hammer and some quick whacks.

The milk jug works great as a funnel to dump in to my jars or hold the next batch of weighed out beans to hit my roaster.

Takes me 20 minutes from weighing the green beans and setting up to setting the coffee bean filled jars in my kitchen and walking away.  1-1.5lbs per roast.

somegeek
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:36:17 AM by somegeek »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2010, 09:01:11 PM »
Very, very slick, some.

What are your thoughts about putting some sort of lid on it to trap more heat?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

somegeek

« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2010, 08:00:58 AM »
Thanks, Peter.  I have this lid on there which holds the heat gun as well:

Posted more pics here regarding this build.

somegeek
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 08:02:57 AM by somegeek »

FinerGrind

« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2010, 01:15:12 PM »
Here is the Ambex YM-15 (15kilo, 33lbs) I just purchased.  I'm baby-stepping my way to serious coffee roasting, and I had a lead from the SCAA conference on this roaster.

I bought it from Stone Cup Roasting Co.  If you are ever in Chattanooga, stop by and visit them - this are wonderful to work with.  Jennifer Stone may be the reason I got into roasting, when I stopped into her shop on the way to a fishing trip in Snowbird Mts.  Their roaster Bryan and I roasted a couple of batches of coffee on it, prior to tearing it down for me to carry home.  Come-alongs are a roaster-movers friend...

I just finished building my "roasting shack" (did I nick that from BW?) and I didn't plan to put a production roaster into it - it's a good thing that I haven't run power to it yet, and I'll be converting the Ambex from natural gas to propane.  But I have proper clearances around the roaster, and will probably expand the building soon.  I just wrestled the 800lb roaster into the shack - again, come-alongs are a roaster-movers friend...

Once it's up and running, I'll post more pictures.  The first pic is at their site; the second the "roasting shack", the third a close-up.  I'm really excited about being able to roast

I did it again. I just brought home an Ambex YM-5. I want to do a lot of upgrades to the YM-15 so I'm going to take it offline and boot up the YM-5, until I'm finished with the mods.  I might put one roaster into a roasting space in the city and keep one here on the farm.

Pyment

« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2010, 01:29:03 PM »
you could sell it to a guy here in Wisconsin after you are done.  8)

FinerGrind

« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2010, 03:36:12 PM »
you could sell it to a guy here in Wisconsin after you are done.  8)

I would always sell to my friends first :-D!  This is a nice little roaster.  It was used very little and has been in storage for the last two years.  Compared to the 1996 YM-15, it doesn't seem as heavily built.  The YM-15 is #36 Ambex built, and the YM-5 is 50XX.  It may be that Ambex overbuilt them earlier on.

Pyment

« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2010, 02:35:45 PM »
From another thread:

Can you give me a rough idea on the price? I am looking for a roaster in the 1 to 2 kilo range, plus I like that with this one (as compared to the Sonofresco), I can do small sample batches.

Also, do you have a discussion thread where you gave a review of your roaster?

A review? well imagine that! Someone wants my opinion! Quelle horreur!

I have had the roaster for 2+ years. I bought it from one of the members here. It was made in 2007. I have the electric 120v version. Prior to this I roasted on a Gene Cafe (I actually got one of the first 50 of those imported into the US) and before that an iRoast. Before buying this, I had experience with roasting with some Probat sample roasters (both electric and gas), a Diedrich IR3, a Joper 15Kg (see link) and had seen some other roasters in action.

http://web.mac.com/victor.mondry/Site/New_Joper_European_15_kg_Roaster.html#0

In looking for my roaster, I looked at the US Roasters sample roaster, the Diedrich HR1 (there were still a few of those available then) and a variety of used roasters. This one was a great deal and seemed to fit my needs.

When I first bought the roaster, I put in a separate circuit for it and have it set up in the garage. The element needed replacing and, in the process, I shorted it out.

Delaware City Coffee Company refused to help me because they didn't sell the machine. I had to obtain elements from Turkey. (You have to wonder why they wouldn't help someone who might want to upgrade and become a future customer. Perhaps that is why they used to be distributors for Coffee Tech and now have their "Geometrico" line).  Fortunately, the response I got from Robust Roasters has been considerably better. They have emailed a copy of the manual to me (which is considerably improved over the old one). definitely more friendly than the prior distributor.

The local machine shop (which services much of the local industrial machinery and farm equipment) was able to help me with this and I was up and running.

The Roaster weighs 82 kg. It is a rugged design with good fit and finish. There are 4 controls. Three pairs of on/off buttons control the drum, heat and stirring wand for the cooler. There is also a rotating switch for the 2 coils you can have the coils off or turn on 1 or both.

There is an attached chaff collector and the exhaust comes off there. I don't have it connected to anything but I am sure there wouldn't be any trouble finding appropriate ducting. If you are venting this through a structure, there would be other considerations. You would have to get advice from someone who knows more than I. There are guidelines in the manual.

You only have 1 temp probe and need to decide whether you want to measure air temp or bean temp. I have my probe in the bean mass. I adjusted the probe so it is as close to the drum without hitting the vanes. It might be nice to also measure air temp, but I haven't introduced a second temp probe. The temp on my roaster is in C.

When you are ready to roast, you have to preheat the drum. You adjust your drop temp so you get the "turn" about 1.5-2 min after you drop the beans. You don't want the temp so high that you scorch them. I usually want the temp below my final goal temp. I use a lower temp for smaller batches. This is one of the variables you get to work with.

The drum has a pretty high thermal mass which helps it heat evenly and consistently. I would look at the weight of any roaster you are looking at to give you an idea of how heavy the drum is. The heaviest 1 kg roaster I have seen is the Giesen W1 at 150 kg. The Diedrich is 61+ kg, the 1 lb US Roasters is 88 lbs. Ambex 1 lb roaster is 75lbs. Toper is at the heavier end of the scale for this size roaster.

Because this is an electric roaster, you aren't going to have an immediate effect on the roast by turning coils on and off. It is like Diedrich IR roasters in that changes you make take effect 1-2 mins from now.

I have roasted in the garage at below 0 deg F. here you begin to notice the cold air coming in cools things down. To counter this I have used a can that fits over the exhaust to slow down air flow. This helps heat things faster. You can use this technique if you have a roast that is falling behind. If I have slowed the roast I will use this to get caught up.

It is a solidly built roaster that does what is necessary to get some great roasts. Not all of your roasters in this range are going to have this heavy a drum or 3 motors or the overall build that is going to last a long time.

Now on to what I would like to see better:

1) I would like to have better control over air flow. I will say this didn't really bother me until I had roasted quite a bit and had the knowledge where I know what to do with it.

2) The sight glass fills with beans and chaff during any roast over 1/2 capacity. This is much less a problem with smaller beans and peaberries.  The beans that get stuck in there don't roast adequately. Other than being able to see the coils are working, there isn't much to see. It is a pain to fish out 5-12 under-roasted beans at the end of the roast. This interferes with being able to to back to back roasts and is tedious. If I was confident in my ability to put the thing back together, I would take it apart and do some kind of remedy. It is minor, but irritating.

3) Sampler is a bit small. I would like a larger one so I could remove enough to cup at different temps.

4) More heat! It is a bit underpowered. I think I have said this about every roaster I have had.

These are really all small issues. In fact, I plan on talking to my nephew the electrician to see about putting in a variable fan.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:57:34 PM by Pyment »

DJR

« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2010, 09:06:36 PM »
Here's a roaster I made from a stainless milk can and a Tormek knife sharpener.

I admit that the sharpener was an afterthought. I blew up my gear motor and the Tormek was gathering dust, so why not? Plus I can sharpen a knife until first crack, after which, I'm all over it. It easily and evenly roasts 32 ounces (dry measure).

Almost as useful is my shop dust collector cooler which cools a couple pounds of beans in 14 seconds. I really haven't seen a better cooling method, even in small commercial roasters. It also removes the chaff.

Coffee Roaster Knife Sharpener

The roaster in action

Coffee Roaster Cooler

Cooler in action

dan

Tex

« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2010, 09:11:31 PM »
Here's a roaster I made from a stainless milk can and a Tormek knife sharpener.

I admit that the sharpener was an afterthought. I blew up my gear motor and the Tormek was gathering dust, so why not? Plus I can sharpen a knife until first crack, after which, I'm all over it. It easily and evenly roasts 32 ounces (dry measure).

Almost as useful is my shop dust collector cooler which cools a couple pounds of beans in 14 seconds. I really haven't seen a better cooling method, even in small commercial roasters. It also removes the chaff.

snipped

dan

Doesn't it seem the RPM's a bit fast? But it's a pretty setup!

DJR

« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2010, 09:19:28 PM »
It's 90 RPM, which seems ok. At least it works ok. No tipping or burning. I'm going to drill a few 1/8" holes around the drum to let the beans dry better. I've been noticing with some beans, that when I put in my trier, it has condensation on it, so they are not drying as fast as I think they should, though what do I know? I've done over 150 roasts on it so far. They all seem to last between 14-16 minutes.

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2010, 03:51:17 AM »
Really nice build, the milk can looks like a great roasting drum.
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

BoldJava

« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2010, 05:20:14 AM »
Really nice build, the milk can looks like a great roasting drum.

What an ingenious contraption.  I love it.  For comparison, the RK drum rotates at about 55 RPM.  It has tons of holes and before your post, I never considered why.  In the YouTube, when you ran the tester rod into the milk can, I knew I had to discuss with my wife over breakfast.  She wasn't quite as taken with it but she politely listens, as she always does.

Delightful.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 06:36:12 AM by BoldJava »