Author Topic: Brewer recommendation <$150?  (Read 2079 times)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Brewer recommendation <$150?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 04:06:25 PM »
I made a promise to keep it secret.  I shouldn't have said anything.

Not even your cyber coffee buddies?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

crholliday

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 04:10:32 PM »
If you are set on home drip, I would go with a Zojirushi.

Tex

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 04:28:58 PM »
Hello Group!  1st >> thank you distributors for the wonderful beans!  This is so much fun.

I need to replace our Bodum Santos :(

I'd like a reliable brewer for proper temps...
1...not a french press (I take my thermos to work & sip nearly all day).
2...not a stove-top vac pot (I have kids in the kitchen! ..my wife disapproves)

Based on my reading, drip is about my only option.... which leads me to ask what happened to the tabletop electric vac-pot market????  I really liked my Santos.  I thought it was the best thing since..., well, OK, to put it bluntly,... sliced bread.  Great coffee, fun and lasted for over 4 years.

I do have an aeropress... Love it... but NOT for everyday coffee brewing to take to work, or weekend mornings for that manner.  Too much time to prep 8 cups in the morning to put in the thermos.

I'm all about manual. i.e., don't want the timer, auto-grinder, etc.  I just want the best cup for the money and my budget is in the $100-150 range.  Thank You for any suggestions!!!

If you liked the electric Santos, you'll love a conventional vac pot. I've used vac pots since the 50's, and have had several electric models (including the highly regarded Black & Decker VB100). My favorite vac pot is the Silex Lido  my Grandmother left me, but the one I use now is a 5-cup (European sized cups) Yama tabletop model (perfect size for two American cups).
2009-04-22: Yama 5 cup table top vacuum coffee maker - TCA 5D

I've put one up for week 4's auction. By then everyone will be broke and you should be able to get it for a great price!

BoldJava

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 04:36:54 PM »
Hello Group!  1st >> thank you distributors for the wonderful beans!  This is so much fun.

I need to replace our Bodum Santos :(

I'd like a reliable brewer for proper temps...
1...not a french press (I take my thermos to work & sip nearly all day).
2...not a stove-top vac pot (I have kids in the kitchen! ..my wife disapproves)

Based on my reading, drip is about my only option...

My daughter likes her Zojirushi.  It gets the water up to temp.  It brought out the blueberries in a Sidamo when we were over.  Watch the prices.  They will fluctuate and dip down to $70.  Note the height of the unit/cupboards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896101308&Tpk=zojirushi%20coffee

Pyment

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 04:57:07 PM »
or you could buy a stainless Nicro they turn up on eBay occasionally.

I bought an Abco off the bay, but the seal doesn't. (suggestions for a remedy are appreciated).

(mp - no, especially not my cyber buddies)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 05:10:29 PM by Pyment »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 05:49:25 PM »

You own one Chris?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

crholliday

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 06:00:25 PM »

You own one Chris?

Yep. It doesnt get a lot of use but I have had one for about 2 years. Its not sexy but it is consistent. Super simple design that is very much like an all solid plastic version of the Technivorms. The problem I have with most consumer brewers is you can't get enough grounds in the basket to brew more than about 1/3 to 1/2 a carafe. Its a semi-hijack but if the OP could find a used Fetco 2031e and keep the 110v wiring, that would be the way to go. But that is a different price point and they require plumbing.

Pyment

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 07:02:40 PM »
this will get you started:

http://fwd4.me/Mv4

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 07:07:07 PM »
I have a Zojirushi that I am using as a backup while my Newco is being repaired.  I like it except that it only makes 10 cups instead of 12 and the carafe doesn't keep the coffee warm as long as the Newco.  
As an aside...the Newco customer service is not going so well.  It took three weeks to get a call back with the estimate that cost $24.95 to get.  Then when they gave me the estimate, it wasn't a firm amount and they wanted to know how high I would authorize them to go.  It could have ended up costing me more then I paid for the maker to start with.

kp

olsonbri

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 07:07:37 PM »
So now we're looking at a Technivorm based on the comments.  Checked their website and I see 11 models.  Sweet Maria's says they all brew the same cup  but differ in looks and whether or not the carafe is wanted.  Anybody have any thoughts on models?  We can't decide if we want a carafe, mainly because we already have one, and by brewing in a carafe we can't see when the coffee's done brewing.  Thanks all!  --Brian

jimec3

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 07:20:42 PM »
I have  a 10 cupper with a carafe.  You can tell it is done when the reservoir is empty.  If I am not mistaken there are 8 and 10 cup models of varying styles in both carafe and non carafe.  I can say that the OEM carafe will keep coffee hot for 6 hours (longest I have gone from brew to consuption) with that time deminishing the more frequently it is opened for beverage serving.  Also thermos makes a brewthrough carafe that, with a few small pieces of rubber added to the "feet" of the Technivorm, fits very nicely under the filter.
Best of luck on your quest.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:18:23 PM by jimec3 »

olsonbri

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 07:47:09 PM »
The red models are sweet, but it doesn't appear they are available in the US... oops UPDATE i'm mistaken... looks like we can get the KB741 in red!  Yea!!!

http://www.storehousecoffee.com/kb741.html

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:14:17 PM by olsonbri »

BoldJava

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 02:37:41 AM »
Leave it to this dog pound to talk you into a model above your price range <grins>.

B|Java
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 03:41:48 AM by BoldJava »

Pyment

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 04:36:06 AM »
The response to my inquiry was ....... evasive.

So, no reliable news here.

Carry on.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 05:16:40 AM »
Leave it to this dog pound to talk you into a model above your price range <grins>.

Too bad Technivorm does not make a robotic looking $200 pourover cone.

It would be a big seller. >:D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 05:27:55 AM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison