Author Topic: A bit of lever action  (Read 46519 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: A bit of lever action
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2010, 03:11:20 PM »

This was a 24hr old Naranjos Nanolot, dosed at 15.8gms and pulled at 16.2gms, ristretttttoooooo.

What does this mean, pulled at 16.2gms?  Are you weighing the shot in order to know when to end it?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2010, 03:13:08 PM »
I want that in my Belly!!!

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2010, 03:27:36 PM »

This was a 24hr old Naranjos Nanolot, dosed at 15.8gms and pulled at 16.2gms, ristretttttoooooo.

What does this mean, pulled at 16.2gms?  Are you weighing the shot in order to know when to end it?

Watch the video, you will see I put the cup on the scale after I pulled the shot and the resulting liquid came out to 16.2gms (I had tared the scale with the empty cup prior to pulling the shot).

I know when to end the shot, because it tells me. I weigh it afterwards to see the relationship between coffee weight and liquid weight.

Make sense?

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2010, 03:32:20 PM »

Watch the video, you will see I put the cup on the scale after I pulled the shot and the resulting liquid came out to 16.2gms (I had tared the scale with the empty cup prior to pulling the shot).

I know when to end the shot, because it tells me. I weigh it afterwards to see the relationship between coffee weight and liquid weight.

Make sense?

Oh my ... do you weigh everything ... before and after?

???
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2010, 03:37:44 PM »

What does this mean, pulled at 16.2gms?  Are you weighing the shot in order to know when to end it?

Make sense?

You da Monk - oops I meant da man! Measuring things is cool, as long as you don't come up short. :angel:

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2010, 03:38:31 PM »

And you have to weigh it afterwards to make sure it was telling you the truth.  Espresso, being of the female gender, can sometimes allege one thing and give you another.   ;D

So blonding will help determine the end of the shot.  And then weighing it will perhaps tell you about your dosing and distribution, based on your weight/volume at blonding?

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2010, 03:38:58 PM »
Haha, yeah Tex, I think I beat that one by .4gms.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2010, 03:42:40 PM »

Make sense?

Oh my ... do you weigh everything ... before and after?

???

No I don't. I do it sometimes when I'm checking a new bean or checking a different routine. I've done it on and off since I read this http://www.jimseven.com/2007/01/02/espresso-extraction-ratios/ but it's become more of a habit recently.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2010, 03:46:01 PM »

And you have to weigh it afterwards to make sure it was telling you the truth.  Espresso, being of the female gender, can sometimes allege one thing and give you another.   ;D

So blonding will help determine the end of the shot.  And then weighing it will perhaps tell you about your dosing and distribution, based on your weight/volume at blonding?

Haha, yeah Peter, but weight and females... iy, yiii, yiiiiiii.

In simple terms blonding determines the shot, in more detail I pay attention to the flow rate, blonding, viscosity and 'feel'. Then the weight will tell me about the extraction ratio which you've probably seen me just post about.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2010, 03:48:23 PM »
Jim Seven ... you really like what that guy writes?

???
lp, 7-Ski

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2010, 03:51:09 PM »
Jim Seven ... you really like what that guy writes?

???

Not really... he's got no credentials, he knows nothing about espresso or milk, has no imagination and has no coffee industry insight, in fact I doubt he even drinks coffee. ;-)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2010, 03:53:39 PM »
viscosity

I watched the first vid on the last page and had one word to say.

I saw there was another page with posts so I am reading them before posting........

See quote above. 
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2010, 03:55:22 PM »
Not really... he's got no credentials, he knows nothing about espresso or milk, has no imagination and has no coffee industry insight, in fact I doubt he even drinks coffee. ;-)

Hahahah!

I like about 90% of what he says.

And that is HUGE for me. Most "coffee guys" I've read around town clock in at about 40% on a good day.  :-\
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2010, 04:04:06 PM »
In simple terms blonding determines the shot, in more detail I pay attention to the flow rate, blonding, viscosity and 'feel'.

Good words.  That helps me firm up in my own mind what I've been trying to do w/o realizing it.  My machine being where it is, has poor lighting at the PF.  So I have a hard time making fine distinctions when it goes blonde, which has me starting to look at viscosity and flow.  I've actually toyed with the idea of mounting a small LED or two, maybe the head from a small flashlight on either side of the group, as long as I could do it in a clean fashion and they wouldn't blind me as I'm watching the bottom of the naked.

After reading that page you linked to, I have some other ideas.  My machine has volumetric dosing, and I have it set to 2oz. on one of the buttons, but I programmed it by volume, which is hard to measure with the crema and all.  Now I'm going to reset it, as a shot pulls into an empty glass tared out on scale.

Thanks buddy.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #149 on: July 27, 2010, 04:15:43 PM »
My machine has volumetric dosing, and I have it set to 2oz. on one of the buttons, but I programmed it by volume, which is hard to measure with the crema and all.  Now I'm going to reset it, as a shot pulls into an empty glass tared out on scale.

Be careful there...

I'd say set it to 3oz to kill/bypass that feature but it's your ride. I'm just sayin'.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 04:23:41 PM by John F »

Lee Morrison