Author Topic: Siphon Brewing Apparatus.  (Read 3188 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Siphon Brewing Apparatus.
« on: March 10, 2009, 05:48:32 PM »
I was looking through the Make Magazine blog and I saw a video promoting their new issue. It said it includes plans for  "John Park's siphon brewing apparatus" also known as a "Florence Siphon Arabica Brewing & Extraction Apparatus".

Looks interesting. Kind of the meth lab of coffee brewers. :P ::). I seems like it would work similar to one of these siphon brewers.

Anyone subscribe to Make magazine? I would like to see the plans for the brewer. Looks like a fun home project.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 09:32:43 AM by headchange4u »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: Siphon Brewing Apparatus?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 06:45:14 PM »
sweet... I'm going to Boarder's books tomorrow...  8)  and then maybe American Science and Surplus when I win the lotto.. :-X

Tex

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 07:05:15 PM »
I was watching Breaking Bad this weekend - I'd have sworn they were using the same stuff. Coffee Huh?

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 09:13:19 PM »
I was watching Breaking Bad this weekend - I'd have sworn they were using the same stuff. Coffee Huh?

that proves it headchange4u... Tex is one of THEM... the men in dark glasses.... and he is on too us.... 

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 05:39:22 AM »
sweet... I'm going to Boarder's books tomorrow...  8)  and then maybe American Science and Surplus when I win the lotto.. :-X

I saw you mention this in another thread. Did you get a copy of Make and the supplies to make one of these? I'm going to pick up a copy of this issue sometime this weekend.

BTW,

I found a correction for the instructions listed in the magazine:

correction for page 65
In the materials list on pg. 65, it should read "Thistle tube with 7mm tube O.D., 1?" funnel mouth".

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 06:16:25 AM »
I got the magazine but it will be a while before I can foot the $ for glass... the place the article points you too will sell you every thing you need except the filters and coffee as a kit for >$100 but I think his glass tube is too long so I shopped around and I think you can get a thistle funnel with a 400 mm tube, bend that at ?45 degrees? and set the boiling flask on an angle in the clamp thus saving on lab equipment and water temp...  I think I will make a wood stand that has a science lab feel to it but look better on my table and I think it would be easy enough to put a handle on the boiling flask and a spot to put the siphon tube between brews... 

Blah Blah...  if you want info on better glass prices etc let me know and I will pass on what I have...  I am still looking for a local glass source because shipping is as much or more than some of the items.

Coffee is done brewing   ;D

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 06:45:01 AM »
You can get most of that on eBay for dirt cheap if you are patient.  I wouldn't seek out the specific pieces, but would instead look for lots of used lab glassware - you can keep what you need and sell the rest and probably get it much cheaper.  I'll have to check my stash, I bought a couple of boxes of lab glass at a surplus auction several years ago. 

Bending your own glass is pretty easy, since lab glass is borosilicate glass and is a lot more forgiving for heating and cooling.  To bend the tube, just spin the piece (rolling it back and forth using your fingers) over a propane torch or bunsen burner until it softens, then remove from the heat and allow gravity to bend it for you.  It will cool completely in a couple minutes. 

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 07:07:12 AM »
You can get most of that on eBay for dirt cheap if you are patient.  I wouldn't seek out the specific pieces, but would instead look for lots of used lab glassware - you can keep what you need and sell the rest and probably get it much cheaper.  I'll have to check my stash, I bought a couple of boxes of lab glass at a surplus auction several years ago. 

Bending your own glass is pretty easy, since lab glass is borosilicate glass and is a lot more forgiving for heating and cooling.  To bend the tube, just spin the piece (rolling it back and forth using your fingers) over a propane torch or bunsen burner until it softens, then remove from the heat and allow gravity to bend it for you.  It will cool completely in a couple minutes. 

Do you know if their are thistle funnels longer than 400mm or if their is a better way to do the filter?? I like the mad science look but I am leaning toward a more compact refined after dinner coffee and key lime pie look  (always the entrepreneur optimist)

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 07:10:03 AM »

Do you know if their are thistle funnels longer than 400mm or if their is a better way to do the filter?? I like the mad science look but I am leaning toward a more compact refined after dinner coffee and key lime pie look  (always the entrepreneur optimist)
I doubt if you could find them like that off the shelf, but most mad scientists would just 'weld' one to a length of glass tubing if they needed a longer one.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 08:20:08 AM »
Wow. I had no idea that the glassware would cost that much. Sourcing the parts would be the hard part for me. I'll definitely check Ebay for new stuff. I am a little wary of getting used glassware. There's no telling what may have passed through the glass before I get it.

As for the filter, it almost looks like the Yama vac pot cloth filters. I have several of those that I could use. I'll also be using my camp stove for the burner.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 08:28:21 AM »
J.Jirehs Roaster,

If it wouldn't be to much trouble, could you post a parts list?

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 08:56:06 AM »
Wow. I had no idea that the glassware would cost that much. Sourcing the parts would be the hard part for me. I'll definitely check Ebay for new stuff. I am a little wary of getting used glassware. There's no telling what may have passed through the glass before I get it.

As for the filter, it almost looks like the Yama vac pot cloth filters. I have several of those that I could use. I'll also be using my camp stove for the burner.

the article says he used yama filters from sweet maria's

don't order any thing based on this post but I am thinking a thistle funnel with a 400mm tube, a 500ml or 1000ml boiling flask with matching beaker and a rubber stopper is all the glassware I will need but I have to get a 400mm piece of tubing and play with it to see if its long enough (or learn to weld glass)  maybe make it a little longer and put a loop or wiggle in it....

here is the place that looks best (so far) to me for new glass ware... (BW may have other suggestions)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 12:26:21 PM »
I wonder how much the length of the tubing would matter to the brewing process? If it didn't matter too much, it would be cool to go balls out mad scientist and have some of the glass spirals of tubing between the 2 beakers, just for effect.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 01:04:45 PM »
I wonder how much the length of the tubing would matter to the brewing process? If it didn't matter too much, it would be cool to go balls out mad scientist and have some of the glass spirals of tubing between the 2 beakers, just for effect.

the issue would be drop in temp I presume and that is an equation for greater brains for math then I have

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 09:21:36 AM »
I got a copy of the instructions. Here they are if anyone wants to read over them:

Continued on next page......
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:59:20 AM by headchange4u »