Author Topic: Chaff  (Read 1551 times)

willix

Chaff
« on: June 18, 2010, 04:24:41 PM »
I have had a Nesco roaster for more than a year now.  The chaff collection system, although decent, certainly doesn't collect all the chaff during the roasting and cooling cycles.  Alot of it remains in with the roasted coffee.  I am looking at the Gene cafe roaster and the Behmor roasters to both process a little more coffee in each batch and reduce the chaff content of the finished beans.  Any comments about the relative efficiency of the chaff collection systems in these two roasters as compared to the Nesco unit?

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Chaff
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 04:31:29 PM »
If you are only concerned about the chaff then you should consider looking at the post where Headchange built his own bean cooler.  That should eliminate your problem

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 04:35:46 PM »
I have had a Nesco roaster for more than a year now.  The chaff collection system, although decent, certainly doesn't collect all the chaff during the roasting and cooling cycles.  Alot of it remains in with the roasted coffee.  I am looking at the Gene cafe roaster and the Behmor roasters to both process a little more coffee in each batch and reduce the chaff content of the finished beans.  Any comments about the relative efficiency of the chaff collection systems in these two roasters as compared to the Nesco unit?

Yes, the Gene leaves more chaff than the Nesco.  I no longer worry about it.

B|Java

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 04:39:40 PM »
If you are only concerned about the chaff then you should consider looking at the post where Headchange built his own bean cooler.  That should eliminate your problem

:)

I concur. The Box Fan Bean Cooler blows away almost all of the chaff.

Offline foreRB

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 11:00:11 AM »

This is my rig, I hope the photo loads. The fan rotates to horzontal without mods, and the screen is a commercial bakery sifter from a cooking store. Cools up to two pounds in less than a minute and no chaff.

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
I use the tried and true method of pouring the coffee between two colanders while standing in my back yard.  The chaff pretty much blows away in the breeze.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
  • I only have 4 grinders. I'm NORMAL!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 08:42:41 PM »
Here's my cooler, similar to foreRB. Blows all the chaff away ... from the coffee ... to me, depends on the wind direction.   ;D  So I'd usually roast before taking a bath.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 09:06:28 PM »
You got quite the audience there, Bob. I can just hear what a couple of them are thinking: "What's crazy Uncle Bob going to come with next?" ;D
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

BoldJava

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 04:00:48 AM »
You got quite the audience there, Bob. I can just hear what a couple of them are thinking: "What's crazy Uncle Bob going to come with next?" ;D

I was thinking the same thing.  He gets more much more rapt attention from his coffee crowd than I typically get -- could be that they are polite relatives?  Peter is the most apt to drift here in Lake Cheddar, particularly around the 3.30-4.00p time frame.

B|Java

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
  • I only have 4 grinders. I'm NORMAL!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 05:28:18 PM »
I should be on TV soon!!!   >:D

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 05:33:24 PM »
I should be on TV soon!!!   >:D

What is the show going to be called ... Coffee with Bob Timo?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 06:52:49 PM »
I have had a Nesco roaster for more than a year now.  The chaff collection system, although decent, certainly doesn't collect all the chaff during the roasting and cooling cycles.  Alot of it remains in with the roasted coffee.  I am looking at the Gene cafe roaster and the Behmor roasters to both process a little more coffee in each batch and reduce the chaff content of the finished beans.  Any comments about the relative efficiency of the chaff collection systems in these two roasters as compared to the Nesco unit?

Yes, the Gene leaves more chaff than the Nesco.  I no longer worry about it.

B|Java

The Hottop does a good job of chaff collection.

yorel23

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 08:39:38 PM »
The Hottop does a good job of chaff collection.

How would you rate its chaff collection compared to the Sono?  I would say the Sono does quite a nice job of chaff collection.

Offline JimsJava

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 10:15:23 PM »
The Behmor does a good job of dechaffing the coffee beans. When I remove the drum, I shake it for about 30 seconds to get some extra friction and dechaffing going on. Much less chaff then when I use my Stir Crazy roaster.

If you use a box fan cooler (as I do for the Stir Crazy), wear a hat.
I make serious coffee. So strong it wakes up the neighbors.