Author Topic: I'm stymied and need some brainology regarding a Gaggia Group question  (Read 2837 times)

SJM

Well I guess I'm glad John thinks I'm right, but everything he sez I sed is what I sed I thought was not so.

A large percentage of the members of GUG arrive with exactly the situation dickcoffee was in, and they want us to tell them where to get a replacement pump.  99 out of 100 times it is NOT the pump.  We spend a lot of time trying to get them to figure out all of the other possibilities.  For Tex it was simple:  if it passes WDT then it isn't the pump.  Unfortunately without Tex I'm at a loss to argue with someone who tells me that ain't so.   He would;  he could;  he did;  I can't....

Susan

ecc

For a vibe pump, pressure is about volume.  If I have a closed system with a fixed resistance (puck) on one end, adding water is what produces pressure, and replacing water being drained through the puck maintains it.

On a vibe pump, notice how it takes a little bit for the pressure to ramp up.  That is the vibe pump pressurizing the closed system by adding more water.  Without an OPV, if your shots run long, they could be subjected to even higher than 9 bar pressure.

Lots of stuff could slow down the pump so that it could not maintain 9 bar against a puck, but almost all of it would also show up in the volume test.

Offline JojoS

• Standard User
  • Behmor/Eureka Mignon/Gaggia Classic
Allow me to input some details on this particular issue from the Gaggia forum. The vibe pump involve is not the standard ULKA vibe pump commonly found installed but an Eaton from a Gaggia Classic from over a decade ago. The owner of the Gaggia Classic replaced it with an ULKA and solved all his problems with water flow and was able to set his OPV mod. Maybe the DWT dogma applies only to ULKA vibe pump installed Gaggias.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Maybe having a pump is the problem.  :P

;D
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper

;D

Who needs a pump when an arm will suffice, is that what you're sayin'?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline JojoS

• Standard User
  • Behmor/Eureka Mignon/Gaggia Classic

;D

and the most likely reason why most of the GUG bosses now use a lever! 

milowebailey

All my pump machines are just sittin'''' Leverland is a much simpler life.. 8)

even Tex's niece can do it!

SJM

Agreed.  My SAMA outclasses any Gaggia I've ever had.
So....here's to the Gaggia-less Users Group....
or the Useless Gaggia Group....
or the Gaggia Unplugged Group...or????

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
I loved my tinfoil bamboo...

But the road goes on forever ya know?

In some world where I had a gigantic kitchen I'd have both machines.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

SJM

I loved my tinfoil bamboo...

But the road goes on forever ya know?

In some world where I had a gigantic kitchen I'd have both machines.

Having just given up having tenants in either of the two cottages on the property, I now have three kitchens....Guess I can have all the espresso machines and grinders anyone could possibly want, eh?  Guess my days of selling it all off might just be over, although I might need the $$$$ to compensate for all that lost rent....

Susan

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
For me it was about using it. Without counter space I knew it would sit in a closet forever and not do what it was born to do.

Too sad to allow..

Lee Morrison