Author Topic: Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look  (Read 4187 times)

EricBNC

Re: Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 05:37:41 PM »
The Bunn looks nice and the early teething pains appear to be worked out of the unit - I guess it is a basket vs cone filter question that the customer must answer first.  I have considered "investing" some e-beans in one of these - maybe a road show is in order - let me know since I have a kings ransom in e-beans right now.

PS: ROASTe is listing the Compak K10 now for only 1,300ish after all discounts are applied. 

If nothing jumps out at me between now and that number I may bite just for kicks.  Not really feeling the need for another grinder though, but I don't need another espresso machine either except maybe the LaPavoni Stradavarius or Electra Leva. I am not sure I want the spring lever over the full manual experience but I honestly don't know enough yet to make a wise choice.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 05:38:55 PM »
On Amazon the Bunn HT has only 3 stars based on 34 reviews.

:-\
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

EricBNC

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 05:45:06 PM »

The early edition had some glitches but now the design has hopefully been trouble shot (shooted?) - I have faith in Bunn and use a couple of their brewers.  The Bonavita BV-1800 brews hotter though, is almost as fast, and fits under most cabinets better thanks to it's more traditional shape. 

Still the Phase brew is a neat idea.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 05:47:59 PM »

The early edition had some glitches but now the design has hopefully been trouble shot (shooted?) - I have faith in Bunn and use a couple of their brewers.  The Bonavita BV-1800 brews hotter though, is almost as fast, and fits under most cabinets better thanks to it's more traditional shape. 

Still the Phase brew is a neat idea.

Hopefully it will be.  Only time will tell.

Yeah ... the lower one fitting under the cupboards would be convenient.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

ecc

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 05:53:27 PM »
My first impressions of this brewer were not good. 

For $150, I didn't expect the very cheap looking plastic filter basket, which sits directly on top of the glass pitcher.  The plastic lid for the glass pitcher is cheap junk, doesn't attempt to seal and requires certain technique to insert/remove.

The brewing cycle is also too long, using paper filters the grounds were extracting for almost 6 minutes.  The single hole drain on the filter basket didn't do much better on a Kone filter (which fits but snug enough to sometimes be hard to dig out) and with the height, a full 70g load of freshly roasted coffee never failed to bloom up into the showerhead.

No real pre-infusion, the flow slowly built up, but was mostly distributed across the center.

The good news?  A v60 02 with matching pitcher fits this brewer for an upgrade, as does a 6 cup Chemex pitcher.

Both brew much better, a half liter of water with 40g of coffee,  coarse grind gets a nice 3:30 brewing cycle.  Tested a very acceptable 1.5 Br on the refractometer, and I loved the Bonavita tendency to place steam ventilation holes on their gear so that getting a thermocouple directly into the basket is a breeze.  (slurry in the filter hit and held 190-198F with the glass v60 and Kone)

Final notes: Not as nice a cup as a well done manual pourover,  but for an automatic home brewer it is pretty good, although pricey considering it needs a carafe upgrade and a Kone.  It will go out as a gift to a family member who would never take the time for a manual method, I hope to measure the temps again after a year of daily use.

ecc

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 05:54:47 PM »

EricBNC

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 11:26:12 PM »
I loath the sub six minute brew time - why can't they make a decent automated pour over with just a hot water source and a simple cone - oh wait, they did and it was considered inferior because it wasn't a Coava or Hario product.  I love the simplicity, I played around with the grind size, and I reach a very different opinion as to the "out of the box" experience with this brewer.

Maybe they should charge $229...

milowebailey

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 08:08:10 AM »
Do I count 3 Kones there in the first photo?   I hope I haven't missed a generation three Kone!

ecc

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 09:18:44 AM »
Do I count 3 Kones there in the first photo?   I hope I haven't missed a generation three Kone!

I had a v1, upgraded to a v2, then snagged B|brew's old v1 for a total of three.  There are times when the slightly higher flow rate of the v1 is nice, but the v2 has some advantages as well, and I am having to decide which 2 of the 3 go out as gifts this week.

RobertL

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 12:06:50 PM »
I heard that there was a deal going I saw on twitter where you get a free V2 with the purchase of a V1.

If you are talking about the deal on Hario's new website I think it is over. I saw it on twitter last night but they are out of the Kone gen2.

EricBNC

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 01:11:05 PM »
This brewer is one of the few to pass the testing I found on a Scandinavian site - this chart shows the best of the ones tested - came out of Kaffe Magazine which is available online.

Here is a tester in the coffee lab - looks like ecc's set up with the meters running

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2011, 03:10:40 PM »

EricBNC

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »
Ha, the kenwood looks mighty familiar! http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-DCM900-10-Cup-Coffee-Maker/dp/B0006L9VEE/ref=sr_1_25?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1324249778&sr=1-25

The best buy out of that bunch!

Not exactly - they test if the brewer is within specs (thank you Google translate) but do not focus on long term reliability.  Read the Amazon reviews from the last couple years till now and it is heart breaking - great coffee, then one morning it just dies.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 05:02:43 AM »
I do have to wonder at what percentages the failures start to shoot in the reviews. Reviews tend to bring out more complaints than positive feedback. The bunn got the same treatment but I just bought one for a friend and he loves it.

EricBNC

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 06:02:18 PM »
I do have to wonder at what percentages the failures start to shoot in the reviews. Reviews tend to bring out more complaints than positive feedback. The bunn got the same treatment but I just bought one for a friend and he loves it.
I can't tell you how many times I have looked at that machine - I knew the Kenwood performed on the same level as the TV so the DM-900 should too.  At one point a month or two ago it was less than $40 even (told you I watched it a lot) but it seemed like a few new reviews would pop up too with the report of bad news.