Author Topic: Show Off your Roaster  (Read 25621 times)

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
Re: Show Off your Roaster
« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2010, 08:25:20 AM »
That is a pretty roaster!

FinerGrind

« Reply #151 on: December 15, 2010, 10:59:23 AM »
Just received our new Diedrich IR5 on Friday morning. It's a beauty. Still have probably through the end of the month to get the install right in the midst of the Christmas crunch at the shop - we're building a platform out of some distressed sheet metal & i-beams, and are waiting for a local sheet metal place to finish building our duct work. While I can't wait to get roasting on it, I'm just telling folks that I'd rather have it done right than done fast. It also gives me some down time to learn the software on it, too. What's crazy is that I already have two local restaurants and a brewery committed to buying coffee from me! Definitely a humbling feeling.

If you're ever in my direction in central PA, you're invited to come play!

Nice Karlo!!!

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #152 on: December 15, 2010, 12:14:03 PM »
That thing is sexy as hell. White looks a lot nicer than I would have thought.

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2010, 12:23:10 PM »
I have roaster envy ::) ::)
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

karlo

« Reply #154 on: December 27, 2010, 02:50:08 PM »

Even though it'll probably be a pain to keep clean, I went with the white for two reasons:
1) I wanted a fairly neutral color, since the roasting room is heavy on brick & wood with a bright accent wall.
2) ever since I first saw Star Wars I've been smitten with storm troopers. They may be mindless, but something about that stark black & white screams pure class.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #155 on: December 27, 2010, 02:52:25 PM »

Even though it'll probably be a pain to keep clean, I went with the white for two reasons:
1) I wanted a fairly neutral color, since the roasting room is heavy on brick & wood with a bright accent wall.
2) ever since I first saw Star Wars I've been smitten with storm troopers. They may be mindless, but something about that stark black & white screams pure class.

Eye candy for sure!

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

jspain

« Reply #156 on: December 27, 2010, 03:07:59 PM »
Just received our new Diedrich IR5 on Friday morning. It's a beauty. Still have probably through the end of the month to get the install right in the midst of the Christmas crunch at the shop - we're building a platform out of some distressed sheet metal & i-beams, and are waiting for a local sheet metal place to finish building our duct work. While I can't wait to get roasting on it, I'm just telling folks that I'd rather have it done right than done fast. It also gives me some down time to learn the software on it, too. What's crazy is that I already have two local restaurants and a brewery committed to buying coffee from me! Definitely a humbling feeling.

If you're ever in my direction in central PA, you're invited to come play!

Nice Karlo!!!

Where you at in central Pa.? I'm on the Ohio border near Pitt and always like a roadtrip....  Jim

BoldJava

« Reply #157 on: December 27, 2010, 03:18:42 PM »
Where you at in central Pa.? I'm on the Ohio border near Pitt and always like a roadtrip....  Jim

Oh, oh.  A ridge runners' koffee klatsch coming up.

B|Java

karlo

« Reply #158 on: December 28, 2010, 11:00:05 AM »
Where you at in central Pa.? I'm on the Ohio border near Pitt and always like a roadtrip....  Jim

I'm in Williamsport, PA. She's not up & running yet; I'm bidding out the duct work, hopefully it will be a done job in a week or two. I'll let ya'll know & we'll have a party.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2011, 09:22:39 PM »
the subject of ceramic roaster drums came up t the Yemenathon.. here are a few pictures.. (R&D department closed for the season)

first pic is looking into the opening of the drum.. preliminary test show I may only get a pound of roasted per roast
second and third pic are two end angles.. I have a crank arm buried in the snow to hand crank it..

BoldJava

« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2011, 03:00:07 AM »
Bill, nice.

How much that bad boy weigh?  How you dumping it?

The heat that gets retained in the drum must be tricky to profile -- would seem easy to run away?

B|Java

milowebailey

« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2011, 06:23:21 AM »
Bill

I like it.  I can't even imagine how long it took to make that.  I wonder if it will be close to a cast Iron drum...

looking forward to your roasting notes!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2011, 08:22:39 AM »
Don't drop it bro'!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2011, 09:25:41 AM »
Bill, nice.

The heat that gets retained in the drum must be tricky to profile -- would seem easy to run away?

B|Java

couple pounds.. the shaft is setting loose so I can pick it up and dump it..  so far it seams the retained heat is not a scorching issue.. (as long as I keep cranking)

Bill

I like it.  I can't even imagine how long it took to make that.  I wonder if it will be close to a cast Iron drum...

maybe a day of actual labor over a few weeks of drying firing and etc.. I fired it only once.. since I was not glazing it I just put it in a high fire as green ware

Don't drop it bro'!

but if I do I have an excuse to make the next one.. bigger, better, faster.. ~theme from bionic man show  in background~

Tex

« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2011, 09:32:49 AM »
Bill, nice.

B|Java

couple pounds.. the shaft is setting loose so I can pick it up and dump it..  so far it seams the retained heat is not a scorching issue.. (as long as I keep cranking)

Bill

maybe a day of actual labor over a few weeks of drying firing and etc.. I fired it only once.. since I was not glazing it I just put it in a high fire as green ware

Don't drop it bro'!

but if I do I have an excuse to make the next one.. bigger, better, faster.. ~theme from bionic man show  in background~

I want one - when will you begin marketing them? :)