Author Topic: Show Off your Roaster  (Read 25792 times)

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
Re: Show Off your Roaster
« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2011, 12:29:22 PM »
I know nothing about ceramics, but is there anything you can add to the clay to modify it so that is more resistant to impact and is less brittle? Something similar to the polypropelyne fibers they add to concrete? Short staple steel wool maybe?
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Tex

« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2011, 12:33:05 PM »
I know nothing about ceramics, but is there anything you can add to the clay to modify it so that is more resistant to impact and is less brittle? Something similar to the polypropelyne fibers they add to concrete? Short staple steel wool maybe?

Or form it out of expanded steel and gunite it with concrete?

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2011, 03:37:18 PM »

I have heard of nothing like that.. there are some more durable ceramic bodies but most of them are formed dry or semi dry under extreme pressure then fired... (not easy for a small studio like ours) I think it is pretty durable as built.. I may try and make it thinner next time and if we try paper clay (organic material in the clay burns out leaving the clay lighter and pores) I may try one with that..

I don't think there is an advantage to the added cost.. its just cheaper for me since I am the manufacturer.. I want to try coffee grinds (like the paper clay) in the clay so when it burns out it will be pores enough to brew coffee

Tex

« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2011, 03:52:45 PM »

I have heard of nothing like that.. there are some more durable ceramic bodies but most of them are formed dry or semi dry under extreme pressure then fired... (not easy for a small studio like ours) I think it is pretty durable as built.. I may try and make it thinner next time and if we try paper clay (organic material in the clay burns out leaving the clay lighter and pores) I may try one with that..

I don't think there is an advantage to the added cost.. its just cheaper for me since I am the manufacturer.. I want to try coffee grinds (like the paper clay) in the clay so when it burns out it will be pores enough to brew coffee

I wonder if the heat shield tiles they use on the shuttle would work for this? Their single greatest feature would be light weight, second would be resistance to heat. I wonder how expensive the process and materials are?

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2011, 04:07:32 PM »
Did you throw that in one piece?  That is a very large piece.  I am a beginner with pottery, I can make coffee cups and small pieces.  I look at what you made and say "WOW".  To build that with vanes inside would be a challenge. Nice work.
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2011, 04:39:45 PM »
the shuttle heat shields are dry compressed then fired (I think) also they are made to insulate so the beans would be comfortably cool inside while you get hotter and hotter (under the collar) trying to raise the temperature of the outside

I threw it in two pieces..
1: the strait cylinder, to which I added the veins and a piece to hold the shaft
2: the top cap and vein pieces were added.. and all the holes punched in..

Tex

« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2011, 07:08:47 PM »
the shuttle heat shields are dry compressed then fired (I think) also they are made to insulate so the beans would be comfortably cool inside while you get hotter and hotter (under the collar) trying to raise the temperature of the outside

1: the strait cylinder, to which I added the veins and a piece to hold the shaft

I was actually thinking of an internal heat source. Watlow has some interesting choices that would work, and with the insulating properties of the ceramic the profiles might be interesting?

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2011, 09:49:35 AM »

I was actually thinking of an internal heat source. Watlow has some interesting choices that would work, and with the insulating properties of the ceramic the profiles might be interesting?

I was thinking how can I roast more coffee with out spending more money..  

design you drum and I will let you know if I can make it...  

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
Show Off your Roaster
« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2011, 07:59:47 PM »
Keeping your roaster clean makes better cupping and avoids fire hazard

Pat

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
Show Off your Roaster
« Reply #174 on: November 10, 2011, 08:03:38 PM »
After cleaning roaster pics

Pat

smico

« Reply #175 on: March 07, 2012, 09:40:39 PM »
I have just finished temporary installation of hood over my HT.  I can do more than few batches now without gas mask.
Sometime in spring I will drill a hole in the wall and make this installation permanent.

Version 1.1 - no bad smell in the garage at all.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 04:43:34 AM by smico »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #176 on: March 08, 2012, 01:56:46 PM »
You went and got your own vent hood for your Hottop?

Cool!

8)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

smico

« Reply #177 on: March 08, 2012, 02:23:58 PM »
I started digging for old power supplies to scavange fans, but I saw this hood in Costco and ...
I like it very much.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #178 on: March 08, 2012, 02:34:01 PM »
How is the CFM count?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

PozzSka

« Reply #179 on: March 09, 2012, 12:40:09 PM »
Here's a couple shoddy photos I took with my phone...