Author Topic: Commercial Espresso Machine Recommendations  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
Re: Commercial Espresso Machine Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 11:00:08 AM »
There is a La Marzocco GB/5 for sale in Centralia, WA for $8,000 that was posted today. It looks to be in pretty good condition, judging form the picture. If that is of interest you might want to jump on it. I assume that it will be flying off the market pretty soon. I do not know anything about this specific machine or the owner, just for the record :) .

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/bfs/1612889526.html

Tex

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 11:07:03 AM »

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 11:23:55 AM »
Whatever you get, here are a couple of points to ponder:

1) You will either need a very reliable and available service technician that has all parts on hand for your machine -AND/OR- you need to have a backup machine and the ability to quickly repair it yourself.  Downtime can kill you in a situation like this, and if you get some fancy newfangled machine that does not have interchangeable parts (with lots of availability) you can be down for days if something fails.  Even if you get a well-known brand name, you will find that each manufacturer has some oddball sizes and setups (look at Simonelli's parts catalog and you'll see what I mean).  The ability to quickly replace a failed pump, solenoid, or valve can make or break your bottom line...   

2) As Stubbie said, if you only have one worker, it is pointless to have more than 2 groups.  Even if you have 2 folks working, one barista and one cashier, 2 groups will be plenty.   The thing that I see frequently is guys with 3, 4, or 5 groups that never use more than 2 of them.

3) A goal of catching 2% of your potential customers is probably quite reasonable for a grocery or department store.  You'll probably see more like 0.3% to 1% until you are well-established.  With that in mind, and 30k potential customers a week, that is probably about 7k a day on the busiest days (30k weekly probably means about half the business happening in under a quarter of that time).   So you are looking at serving something like 75-150 espresso beverages on good days.  That is still well within the 2-group/1 barista zone...

My estimates above are based on a fairly saturated West Coast market - where most people will drive past several decent espresso opportunities on their way to the store.  Having visited other parts of the country where this is not the case, you may find yourself 'catching' more of the demographic... 

FWIW- I have seen guys with $1200 third-hand Faema 2-group machines burn through nearly 100 pounds (of really great coffee) on a good week and make bank.  I have also seen guys with $15,000 Marzoccos lose money more weeks than not unless they pretty much lived behind the machine themselves... 

One more tip - the guy I know who did the best (until he sold out and retired) usually had young women from his church working for him.   

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 12:36:59 PM »
Thanks to all. There was some very helpful information in the thread. I was thinking of a 2 group machine myself. Unfortunately, I found out today that it is a moot point, as the grocer decided to go another route for now. He is talking to a soup retailer about setting up a small outlet there instead. The individual who told me it was coming felt like he let me down, but I assured him it was all good. I will still have my coffee on the grocer's shelf.

So, since I do not need a machine immediately, how about we turn this thread into a slightly different question:

What would be your "dream" home espresso machine? Plumbed or pour over, either one would work. Actually, I might go ahead and purchase a 2 group and set it up in my shop to "play" with! If you can't enjoy the toys, what the point of owning the business?

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 12:54:10 PM »

What would be your "dream" home espresso machine? Plumbed or pour over, either one would work.

Easy:

But I'm a sucker for shiny stuff.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
I would have to go with a machine from Kees Van Der Weston. They have the latest greatest technology and look like they should be in museums. For home use I would go with either the Speedster or the 2 group Idrocompresso.

thejavaman

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 01:29:15 PM »
...What would be your "dream" home espresso machine?...

I think I'd have to go with THIS ONE.   ::) :P ;)

Tex

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 01:35:48 PM »
Thanks to all. There was some very helpful information in the thread. I was thinking of a 2 group machine myself. Unfortunately, I found out today that it is a moot point, as the grocer decided to go another route for now. He is talking to a soup retailer about setting up a small outlet there instead. The individual who told me it was coming felt like he let me down, but I assured him it was all good. I will still have my coffee on the grocer's shelf.

So, since I do not need a machine immediately, how about we turn this thread into a slightly different question:

What would be your "dream" home espresso machine? Plumbed or pour over, either one would work. Actually, I might go ahead and purchase a 2 group and set it up in my shop to "play" with! If you can't enjoy the toys, what the point of owning the business?

Shep

Ask about putting a kiosk in the store or just outside the door? You really don't need much room for a coffee bar.

Tex

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 01:44:15 PM »
1st choice is easy: Gaggia GX/Viscrem VX 1 group lever. This has been my dream machine for years!
2nd choice, also easy: LM Linea AV 1 group. Why mess around with toy machines like the GS/3 or Speedster when you can have the REAL McCoy?

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 02:01:01 PM »
What would be your "dream" home espresso machine? Plumbed or pour over, either one would work.
Shep

~~~I gotta tell ya, I'm totally happy with my Salvatore One Black (&Red) HX.  It's pour over, vibe pump, pulls killer espresso shots.  I will have owned this machine one year in April.  Sure, there are far more blingy machines out there but this one works well

Jake
Reddick Fla.
Our faults irritate us most when we see them in others.
-- Dutch Proverb

crholliday

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 02:35:48 PM »

Shep

I would have Paul Pratt find me an old GS1 or GS2 and turn it into a friggin masterpiece.

http://www.espresso-restorations.com/

Tex

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 02:44:18 PM »

Shep

I would have Paul Pratt find me an old GS1 or GS2 and turn it into a friggin masterpiece.

http://www.espresso-restorations.com/

Yeah, I forgot about his gems! Wonder how much a cherried GS1 from him would cost?

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 04:49:13 PM »

Shep

Ask about putting a kiosk in the store or just outside the door? You really don't need much room for a coffee bar.

You are right and I might do that. When we finally get together to finalize my product on their shelves, we will talk more.

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

thejavaman

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2010, 04:31:49 PM »
I would have to go with a machine from Kees Van Der Weston. They have the latest greatest technology and look like they should be in museums. For home use I would go with either the Speedster or the 2 group Idrocompresso.

They have NEW ESPRESSO MACHINE out now too.  The "Spirit" two group.  I've been drooling all day looking at that sucker....

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2010, 04:40:10 PM »

They have NEW ESPRESSO MACHINE out now too.  The "Spirit" two group.  I've been drooling all day looking at that sucker....

Geeze!

The thing looks like a mini space ship.

:o
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski