Author Topic: Brewer recommendation <$150?  (Read 2080 times)

olsonbri

Brewer recommendation <$150?
« on: May 04, 2010, 08:07:30 PM »
Hello Group!  1st >> thank you distributors for the wonderful beans!  This is so much fun.

I need to replace our Bodum Santos :(

I'd like a reliable brewer for proper temps...
1...not a french press (I take my thermos to work & sip nearly all day).
2...not a stove-top vac pot (I have kids in the kitchen! ..my wife disapproves)

Based on my reading, drip is about my only option.... which leads me to ask what happened to the tabletop electric vac-pot market????  I really liked my Santos.  I thought it was the best thing since..., well, OK, to put it bluntly,... sliced bread.  Great coffee, fun and lasted for over 4 years.

I do have an aeropress... Love it... but NOT for everyday coffee brewing to take to work, or weekend mornings for that manner.  Too much time to prep 8 cups in the morning to put in the thermos.

I'm all about manual. i.e., don't want the timer, auto-grinder, etc.  I just want the best cup for the money and my budget is in the $100-150 range.  Thank You for any suggestions!!!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Brewer recommendation <$150?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 08:10:35 PM »
A #4 ceramic cone.

You will not beat it with any auto machine.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 08:13:43 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

milowebailey

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 08:10:50 PM »
See Item 3-11 in the coffee kids auction.... lots of thread about pour-overs

Item 3-11   Red, No. 1 Hario Dripper, 2 Packs of Hario #1 Brown Filters (200 totl) donated by GCBC member headchange4u (Retail value $40)

Bid your price and coffee kids benefits too

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 06:15:42 AM »
Because you didn't respond maybe what you want is the very popular Cuisinart.

I hear if you run a blank "shot" of water before brewing that temps are very good and it's just a little over $100 last time I saw it.

The cone is better.  ;)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 06:55:17 AM »

CAGurl

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 08:10:25 AM »
As you can see this group is currently on a pourover tear.
But, since you asked, you should probably go over and read the entries in this thread

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=5651.msg83351#msg83351

I don't even know if they make them/sell them anymore, but I still like and haul out my MokaBrew when I need a quantity of coffee made without my hovering over it....Not only does it make great coffee, but it keeps conversation flowing....

Susan

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 11:00:49 AM »
As you can see this group is currently on a pourover tear.

It's just so superior it's hard not to be.

I do wish I had access to a Fetco or other pro auto to do testing with because they advertise brew/temp controls that look very good. There just isn't a consumer auto machine that I think comes close to what you can do with a cone and that includes stuff double the OP's limit.  :-\

Dispersion and water deliver complicates temps significantly....measuring at the exit of a shower screen tells only a portion of the tale.

Lee Morrison

olsonbri

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 12:38:27 PM »
Thanks all!  This is really helpful to have some recommended models to look up & buy.  Cheers --Brian

Pyment

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 12:59:07 PM »
You didn't really talk about other things that would change my suggestions.

1) how much interaction do you want to have with the process. Manual pourovers are interaction intensive.

2) Is there anyone else that will be using the brewer?  The learning curve that goes with certain brewers isn't acceptable to many spouses, housemates, significant others..

3) How versatile do you need this brewer to be? Will it be asked to make coffee for a dozen guests, church meetings,  etc.

4) How much coffee will you be making at a time? a 40 ounce auto drip is fine for most of a day at my house.

5) what are you using to grind? We might say "save the $ on the brewer, upgrade the grinder!" 

It sounds like you would be satisfied with a Bunn pourover or a Cuisenart Grind n Brew (unless you have a great grinder), etc.

Or I might say, I have heard rumors of a new coffee maker coming on the market and make do with the least expensive alternative until it materializes.

olsonbri

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 02:42:46 PM »
You didn't really talk about other things that would change my suggestions. 

1) how much interaction do you want to have with the process. Manual pourovers are interaction intensive. > I don’t mind the interaction.  But I’d prefer not to spend more than 4 minutes or so taskwork.  I typically make about 8 cups.

2) Is there anyone else that will be using the brewer?  The learning curve that goes with certain brewers isn't acceptable to many spouses, housemates, significant others.. > Likely me and the wife… so for her it depends on how fast & clean the process is.

3) How versatile do you need this brewer to be? Will it be asked to make coffee for a dozen guests, church meetings,  etc. >  Not loads of guests

4) How much coffee will you be making at a time? a 40 ounce auto drip is fine for most of a day at my house.  > no more than 10 cups, but usually 8

5) what are you using to grind? We might say "save the $ on the brewer, upgrade the grinder!"   > we have a bur grinder, black & decker I think.

It sounds like you would be satisfied with a Bunn pourover or a Cuisenart Grind n Brew (unless you have a great grinder), etc.

Or I might say, I have heard rumors of a new coffee maker coming on the market and make do with the least expensive alternative until it materializes.

>>> THANKS

jspain

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 02:51:19 PM »
If you go the route of drip spend a little more and buy a Technivorm. I've got two. The oldest is OLD and still makes a great cup. The new one has the thermos carafe. Jim

Pyment

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 03:15:43 PM »
Don't buy a Technivorm until I get an answer to my latest inquiry.

Stubbie

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 03:43:19 PM »

Care to spill the beans?  My Bunn BTX started leaking out the bottom/rear of the machine while brewing, and after doing a little research, it seems this is a *somewhat* common problem.  I may be ready to leave Bunn land soon and was seriously considering the Technivorm.

-Stubbie

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 03:48:57 PM »

Ok ... I'll bite ... what was your inquiry?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Pyment

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 04:04:04 PM »
I made a promise to keep it secret.  I shouldn't have said anything.