Author Topic: Big fat spout Aroma kettle  (Read 3236 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Big fat spout Aroma kettle
« on: August 24, 2012, 05:12:56 PM »
I was heading out super early yesterday and hit the go button on my trusty Melitta kettle at 3:45 am.

The go button was a no go.  :(

With no kettle I did an emergency pot on stove procedure and hated it. I am going into in on call week starting today so I had to grab a new kettle immediately. Of the choices I could get right now I went with the Aroma kettle.

It is thinly constructed but heats fast, has an improved shut off at boil feature because it's built into the lid, and a push button pop open top.

It was cheap, in stock, and acceptable in performance.....but look at this big fat spout!

It is out of control man. Out   of   control.

I'm going to use it for a while but already miss my bird beak spout of the Melitta.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

Re: Big fat spout Aroma kettle
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 06:17:10 PM »
It is out of control man. Out   of   control.

I have always accused you of drowning the beans.  Now I know you will... <winks>

BJava

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 06:24:25 PM »
You are giving me an idea for a coffee gadget....

Thinking cap is on.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 06:33:50 PM »
You are giving me an idea for a coffee gadget....

Thinking cap is on.

Melitta makes a round filter.  Buy some and lay the filter flat on top of your bed of grounds.  Then, pour with tubby right on to that flat, round filter.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 06:53:39 PM »
My 2nd favorite mod of all time is the 'simple cotter pin on the big fat spout' mod.

Seriously.  Find a cotter pin, 1/8" thick, maybe 5/32"...  clip in on the spout right in the middle, and it'll pour like one of B|Jokeyman's expensive kettles.  Prolly better.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 06:59:15 PM »
That is a nice idea Peter...

I'm going to try it.

Lee Morrison

jbviau

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 08:29:49 PM »
...has an improved shut off at boil feature because it's built into the lid...

If you're ever tempted to take out the plastic filter housing that's inside the spout, my advice is simple: don't! While the metal mesh filter that sits in the housing is designed to be removable, the housing itself isn’t. You’ll probably manage to damage one of its little plastic tabs when you pry it out. And even if you somehow avoid doing so, you’ll find (as I did) that the Aroma’s auto shut-off doesn’t work without the filter assembly in place. A pressure sensor is apparently responsible for switching off the kettle and won’t “trip” unless sufficient steam pressure is allowed to build up inside (as opposed to escaping through the unobstructed spout).

At first, I didn’t really miss the auto shut-off feature. My wife did, though, and she didn’t much care for my suggestion to just put a piece of thick foil over the spout in order to keep steam from pouring out once her water had reached the boiling point. In the end, I massaged our now-imperfect spout filter back into place, restoring the kettle’s stock auto shut-off functionality, and abandoned my silly, modernist dream of an all-metal pathway from kettle to coffee cup. Until I got my Bonavita, that is. ;)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 08:42:46 PM »
If you're ever tempted to take out the plastic filter housing that's inside the spout, my advice is simple: don't!

This is why I'm calling it an improved system, the Aroma has the auto shut off built into the lid not that spout filter.

Bad pic but..

Lee Morrison

jbviau

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 08:44:22 PM »
Aha! Thanks. Missed that detail before. My Aroma is clearly older, i.e. pre-improvement.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 08:47:21 PM »
Yeah, I had that spout filter shut off on the last kettle. Sometimes it would fall down into the kettle and not work so I do know what you were talking about.

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 08:51:10 PM »
That is a nice idea Peter...

I'm going to try it.

If you don't love it, I'll send you a 12-pack of that beer you couldn't find anymore, but is sold here.   ;D

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 08:59:37 PM »
What beer you talkin' bout Willis?

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 09:18:11 PM »
What beer you talkin' bout Willis?

Sorry, I shouldn't tease you like that.

A brewery came up in the What Beer Are You Drinking, 'cuz I had one of their beers, and you mentioned they had a certain beer you had a hankering for and would pay the shipping to CO.  But I couldn't find it here either.  I may have been a Lagunitas, but can't remember.

I was just trying to push you over the edge on the ultra-groovy cotter pin mod, that's all.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 09:23:08 PM »
I will do the mod.

But I'll also pay for a couple bottles of Lagunitas Imperial Red if some is spotted out in the wild. 8)

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 09:45:06 PM »
I will do the mod.

But I'll also pay for a couple bottles of Lagunitas Imperial Red if some is spotted out in the wild. 8)

What a memory!