Author Topic: A bit of lever action  (Read 46467 times)

BoldJava

Re: A bit of lever action
« Reply #615 on: May 17, 2012, 07:16:08 PM »
OK, trying to put the shipping issue behind.... UPS called and are sending someone out to take a look. It'll be interesting. I'm just thankful Ms. Lussia seems to be operating OK. Just operator issues right now.

I've done about 20 shots. I went back tonight and read the comments again and watched the vids again. I've decided I'm trying for too much volume and over dosing. I'm going to cut back to 14 g as Shaun suggests...

Jim, had the same struggle when I started with the Cremina.  I was after the "big" shot, wanting a 2 oz shot.  I have gone in the other direction, often working with a 24g/1 oz ristretto and couldn't be more pleased.  Big ain't all there is.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #616 on: May 17, 2012, 10:49:38 PM »
I agree.

I was very concerned about moving away from the ~ 2 oz shot

I just didn't know what was possible in the ~1 oz lever pull in ~2 oz of milk. Have no fear of the small drink.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

jspain

« Reply #617 on: May 19, 2012, 09:11:54 AM »
Update after another 10 shots. Only two into the sink!

I've noticed the diffence in the pressure and lever release dependent upon the grind and tamp. Too heavy tamp, too fine a grind and it is very (too) slow and much higher pressure. You know when it's right by the pressure and the release of the lever. Really neat!

I don't know about all the rest of you but it appears to me that variety of bean makes more of a difference with the lever than the pump machines as it relates to creama and taste?? Thoughts?  jim

BoldJava

« Reply #618 on: May 19, 2012, 09:23:18 AM »
I don't know about all the rest of you but it appears to me that variety of bean makes more of a difference with the lever than the pump machines as it relates to creama and taste?? Thoughts?  jim

Jim, I think that is the difference between a Silvia and the lever rather than a pump vs a lever.  B|Java

jspain

« Reply #619 on: May 24, 2012, 06:13:21 AM »
My shots are still not consistent but for the most part are really good. Now the latte art leaves a lot to be desired! Milk steaming is inconsistent too and I've watched Shaun's vid many, many times and he is "The Man!" Every now and then I get something that looks half decent...... most of the time, blah!

I guess I'm going to have to get on a plane to Calgary for "one on one" lessons! Good excuse for another trip anyways!  :)

BoldJava

« Reply #620 on: May 24, 2012, 11:39:34 AM »
I'd like to sign up for the advanced milk class in Calgary too! 

Maybe Shaun can get a share in a cow again if they can keep it out of the thistle for some steamy, raw milk action.

Youse guys go to Calgary.  I am going to Brit Col to pick up what should be mine.  Have old Bodum Antigua grinder; will travel.

B|Paladin
San Francisco <an>

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #621 on: May 24, 2012, 01:38:35 PM »
Rossland, BC - this is what you get at Camp pull a shot...

- Shots, lots of them.
- Milk, lots of it.
- Mountains, everywhere.
- Guest bedroom, call ahead to make sure John isn't holed up in there.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #622 on: May 24, 2012, 01:42:02 PM »
Uhm... A weekend camp is alright but nobody stays more than 48 hours in my guest room....emergencies can arise, zombies can attack etc.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #623 on: May 24, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »
Uhm... A weekend camp is alright but nobody stays more than 48 hours in my guest room....emergencies can arise, zombies can attack etc.

Don't worry John, the 'go to' spot is down in the basement (also known as the man cave) where I've got firing ports and sandbags setup. When the zombies invade that's where I'll be hanging out as the audio/video setup is fantastic and there's nothing better than watching great movies on a big projector screen while waiting for the zombie perimeter alarm to go off.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #624 on: May 24, 2012, 02:05:56 PM »
I should have known you had it covered.

I'm getting us some hurling sticks.

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #625 on: May 24, 2012, 02:26:15 PM »
Good idea, the boys also have boomerangs from when we were in Australia in 2010. Zombies hate boomerangs.

jspain

« Reply #626 on: May 24, 2012, 04:58:17 PM »
Shaun,

Hold that guest room for Patti and I! Zombies, no problem. Man cave, no problem. John F invasion "priceless!"

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #627 on: May 24, 2012, 05:24:49 PM »
Shaun,

Hold that guest room for Patti and I! Zombies, no problem. Man cave, no problem. John F invasion "priceless!"

Bring a slingshot, zombies get confused by slingshots.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #628 on: May 24, 2012, 05:31:20 PM »
When all else fails, cardio!

jspain

« Reply #629 on: June 19, 2012, 03:24:15 PM »
Well I pulled the trigger on a NEW PVL last week and my machine is scheduled to be here on Friday from Vaneli's in California. I pray my shipping experience is better this time than last!!!!??? 1st Line will not ship the PVL due to damage in shipping issues! I debated a few used machines but in all honesty I was scared to have them shipped! This way it's on the seller. If the box looks damaged in any way I'll refuse delivery.

I had ordered a new portafilter from Orphan Espresso for my old PVL and I got it cut yesterday at my friendly hardware store in preparation for the arrival of my new PVL. I don't own a drill press but the owner of the store is a friend of mine and he did a great job of cutting off the bottom for $5! Can't beat a deal like that. I just needed to file the cut edge when I got home so it would be safe. I never had a chance to go bottomless with my used PVL. Espresso parts cuts 58mm portafilters but no other size. I guess they only have the one cutter for the 58 mm??

So, once again to Shaun, Larry, John and others for your guidance and help. I did fall in love with Ms. Lusso and I'm ready to fall in love again with my next girl friend!   ;D

I watched Shauns vids again and I'm amped to get going again. The demo KRUPS HX machine just doesn't give the results I'm looking for.