Author Topic: A bit of lever action  (Read 46313 times)

Tex

Re: A bit of lever action
« Reply #585 on: May 09, 2012, 11:10:27 AM »
Three videos dude, really? You know what happens to show offs...

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #586 on: May 09, 2012, 11:10:43 AM »
Levers are fun!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #587 on: May 09, 2012, 11:25:36 AM »
They are a look at three different things.

My operation of the lever itself.
A look at a shot from close up top.
A look into a shot (glass).

:P
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

jspain

« Reply #588 on: May 09, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »
John,

Voodoo magic!!!!! Thanks for the alternative method of pulls! Can't wait for Mr UPS/FedEx to come down my drive with Ms. Lussia!!

BTW, Jamboree in the Hills is about 20 miles from me. The shots in the bra routine is norm! Sounds like a great concert!! Hope you're feeling better tomorrow!  8)

milowebailey

« Reply #589 on: May 09, 2012, 07:52:05 PM »
Interesting technique John... worth a try on my Sama

Back in leverland  after a trip to the Arizona heat.  I had a machiatto today at a small coffee shop in Queen Creek.   Cup was really small but I poured a little art.  The barista said he could kind of do art with a 12 oz cup... I asked if they had something closer to 6 oz, but settled for the small cup because I wanted coffee.  Over roasted coffee but the shot pulled nice and they let me pour the milk.   What fun!

Got home and realized I have no roasted coffee..... arggg.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #590 on: May 09, 2012, 08:13:15 PM »
Interesting technique John... worth a try on my Sama

Let me know what you think if you try it.

I'd say to come in between 3 and 4 ounces total drink.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

jspain

« Reply #591 on: May 10, 2012, 07:29:59 PM »
John F got Ms. PVL into the hands of UPS this afternoon. Scheduled delivery is next Wednesday. Shipping is a pain in the as....! It scares me too death! Ms. Silvia went to her new owner and is schedules to arrive tomorrow and Ms. PVL to me on Wednesday. One UPS and the other FedEx. I PRAY they both make it in good shape....? :-\

B/J shared with me that Espresso Parts cuts portafilters into bottomless $25. I've sent a note to Orphan Espresso about a new Pvl portafilter to be cut. My guess is I "might" have a portafilter and a machine by the middle of next week. The bottomless might take a bit longer for the shipping and cutting??

Anxious for my LEVER!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #592 on: May 10, 2012, 07:57:33 PM »
I think yours will be fine. I put 75' of bubble wrap
 around it, some foam bits left over from a fermentation chamber project, and if you shake the heck out of it nothing moves at all.

The shipping guy told me that the corners are where damage happens and that machine is nowhere near a corner.

I predict safe travel unless they run over it.

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #593 on: May 10, 2012, 08:14:48 PM »
I predict safe travel unless they run over it.

Or Tex intercepts it.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #594 on: May 10, 2012, 08:22:09 PM »
Or Tex intercepts it.

I kid you not......

When I went to test drive the machine the guy says "do you know somebody named Tex"  :o

I would not recommend posting the tracking number unless you want to see the package change course half way and turn towards Friendswood.

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #595 on: May 11, 2012, 06:37:30 PM »
Or Tex intercepts it.

I kid you not......

When I went to test drive the machine the guy says "do you know somebody named Tex"  :o

I would not recommend posting the tracking number unless you want to see the package change course half way and turn towards Friendswood.

The repo man is known throughout America.

:o
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #596 on: May 16, 2012, 07:39:46 AM »
I'm waiting for the trip report on that PVL....it should arrive today at camp JSpain.

Lee Morrison

jspain

« Reply #597 on: May 16, 2012, 08:46:24 AM »
I'm waiting for the trip report on that PVL....it should arrive today at camp JSpain.

I have been anxiously watching Ms. Lussia's travels from Denver to "Patti's Park". It arrived in Maumee OHIO up on lake Erie on Monday. It travelled to Columbus, OHIO last night and on to St. Clairsville, OHIO this morning and was loaded on to the local delivery truck this morning. UPS usually gets here late afternoon! It's 11:45am EDST as I post here at the cabin.

I roasted a # of Elida natural on Sunday in expectation of the arrival of Ms. Lussia. I've watched videos, read as many threads as possible, and I'm now read to start the hands on learning of the lever! I ordered a new portafilter from Orphan Espresso to have made into bottomless. I was having it shipped to Espresso Parts to have the bottom removed but I got an email from Espresso Parts that they only remove the bottoms on 58mm portafilters....? Weird, so once it finally gets to me I'll try to find a local machine shop to take it off for me unless someone reading this has an idea?? I don't think that's something I want to try myself due to the equipment needed to do it properly?? I've read of people taking a hack saw to them, but I'm leary of that...? Can't wait to start "pulling" some shots!

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #598 on: May 16, 2012, 08:58:36 AM »
I have heard of people using hole saws as well. Might be tricky and not look as professional as a machine shop.

Tex

« Reply #599 on: May 16, 2012, 10:13:27 AM »
I have heard of people using hole saws as well. Might be tricky and not look as professional as a machine shop.

That's what I use - just chuck the hole-saw in the drill press and it goes through brass like a hot knife through butter.