Author Topic: A bit of lever action  (Read 46448 times)

jspain

Re: A bit of lever action
« Reply #600 on: May 16, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »
Mr. UPS came to the cabin about an hour ago. We unloaded the box and the first thing I saw was a BIG HOLE in the side of the box. It looked like a fork lift sent a fork right into the box! I put my hand in the hole and all I could feel was bubble wrap so I thought all things were OK?

I unpacked Ms. Lussia with care and placed her on the counter. I saw no dents except that the drip plate cover had a dent on a corner that needed a pair of plyers to repair and I thought, "OK, if that's all the damage, no big deal." As I continued putting her together I quickly realized the top plate warmer/cover would not fit. The entire cover of the machine had been bent enough that the top was out of kilter by 1/4 inch. That seems to have caused pressure on the steam wand knob that makes it harder to turn. I'll get feedback from John F but I believe we should file a claim. It bothers me that they couldn't do a better job of handling and if we let these things pass we're not fixing the problem.

I then went ahead, filled the boiler, and prayed that no connections or damage to "the works" of the machine happened with the damage. The good news is it "appears" that the operations of the machine are OK?? No water leaks, no steam, no operational issues other than a hard working steam knob.

The first two shots I pulled went too the sink! Very little creama and bitter. I checked the dose and upped it to 16 grams, tamped a bit harder and the third shot appeared to do better and it was drinkable. Still I can see I'll need a lot of fine tuning to hit the sweat spot.

One thing I noticed, and John pointed out, is that the pressure guage reads 16 bars. I believe that is high? However the guage goes too 60 bars thus I'd think 16 bars isn't bad? I'd appreciate feedback on that question.... 

So, the learning curve begins and fighting with UPS is initiated,  jim   

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #601 on: May 16, 2012, 02:05:50 PM »
Yikes! Save the packing material and box. They will request that you send them the machine for the claim.

The espresso machine that I got damaged was handled by the seller and the only way he was able to get his money back was to go to small claims court.

Tex

« Reply #602 on: May 16, 2012, 02:28:50 PM »
I've seen packages subjected to UPS' extreme handling and it sucks. FYI: Requiring a delivery signature does seem to elicit a bit more care. If nothing else, it gives the receiver a chance to note obvious damage on the receipt, before the delivery person leaves.

I always request that folks take pictures of the package before & during unpacking - just because of what happened to the machine I sent Aaron (all the damage was internal and was caused by inertia, not from external damage).

edited: This wouldn 't have happened if you'd sent it to me first!

jspain

« Reply #603 on: May 16, 2012, 03:26:25 PM »
Well, after 2 hours I finally got the claim process handled. I've heard horror stories about claims. I'm glad she still works, that's the main thing. I'm just disappointed it isn't the way it should be. We'll see how the process goes.....

BTW, John F did a WONDERFUL JOB of packaging and shipping! UPS did the damage and I'm thankful too John for all his help!!! 

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #604 on: May 16, 2012, 06:51:33 PM »
It's so disappointing.

I wrapped the shizzle out of that package and they could have drop kicked it into the truck and tossed it to the door from 20 feet away without damaging anything.

What do the a holes do? Jab a hole into the box puncturing it and dinging up the contents.

It would be reasonable to think that puncturing boxes is beyond normal handling.

Jerks!
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #605 on: May 16, 2012, 08:18:36 PM »
I have had so many bad experiences with UPS and USPS (I believe USPS uses UPS for long distance and priority shipping, so the mishandling of boxes by both makes sense.) when dealing with espresso machines that I only use FedEx now. The condition of some of the boxes / machines in the boxes has completely blown my mind. The last time I shipped a piece of equipment the buyer wanted me to use USPS because it was international. I put 'This Side Up Arrows' and 'Fragile' on all sides of the box, which I do when I send any equipment. The normal reaction from FedEx is "Oh, let us put some 'Fragile' and 'This Side Up' stickers on the box to alert the handlers" and the response from the USPS guy was, "We do not follow instructions written on boxes. Our warehouse workers throw or roll the boxes from conveyer belt to conveyer belt and never look at things like this.". My verbal response was not going to be very polite, so I simply stared through him with an astounded look on my face and 15-20 seconds of silence he then said, 'But I can put stickers on this for you which should help a little and we will do our best'.

Every machine I have ever received through FedEx has been in great shape. I find that their delivery people are much nicer in my area as well, but that could obviously just be a coincidence.

Hopefully the machine works for you and the problems are only cosmetic and minor. Have fun with the lever!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:01:34 AM by Warrior372 »

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #606 on: May 17, 2012, 03:39:08 AM »
Could it be the union labor that ups uses?

The pay structure for FedEx drivers encourages fast delivery and care of the package.

BoldJava

« Reply #607 on: May 17, 2012, 04:30:04 AM »
I have had so many bad experiences with UPS and USPS (I believe USPS uses UPS for long distance and priority shipping, so the mishandling of boxes by both makes sense.) when dealing with espresso machines that I only use FedEx now..

All of USPS priority mail goes by FedEx, not UPS.  All contracted.  UPS has one service which is called UPS mail innovations (only final delivery by USPS).

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #608 on: May 17, 2012, 05:03:00 AM »
I have had so many bad experiences with UPS and USPS (I believe USPS uses UPS for long distance and priority shipping, so the mishandling of boxes by both makes sense.) when dealing with espresso machines that I only use FedEx now..

All of USPS priority mail goes by FedEx, not UPS.  All contracted.  UPS has one service which is called UPS mail innovations (only final delivery by USPS).

Do the packages then go to a USPS warehouse for sorting or straight onto their trucks for delivery?

BoldJava

« Reply #609 on: May 17, 2012, 05:15:45 AM »
Do the packages then go to a USPS warehouse for sorting or straight onto their trucks for delivery?

I have been on the FedEx plane as a friend's brother is a an area manager.  Priority mail (box of greens or Sam's lever) goes to post office.  Post office nightly delivers it to an outsourced handling/sorting firm near airport.  They arrange and pack all packages per FedEx specs/scans/loads in small containers.  They deliver to FedEx.  FedEx loads plane, goes to hub.  Handed off in reverse order, with last delivery by USPS.  "Ding, dong - Peter's greens for you sir."

For context, in well over 1000 boxes of greens, I have had 3 issues -- all easily resolved.  Superb service.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:21:00 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #610 on: May 17, 2012, 05:23:08 AM »

If you are talking about UPS mail innovations, it is NOT the standard service but as an exception that a shipper must request.  It is all UPS to the final city and then handed off to USPS for local delivery.  I do not believe that is the service that John/Jim used.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #611 on: May 17, 2012, 06:03:16 AM »
We would have used Innovations if they would just advertise

"Hi, we are UPS Innovations, we won't punch a hole in your boxes like regular UPS does"  :(

I don't see how they can claim that's not their fault. Hole in box = mishandling.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

milowebailey

« Reply #612 on: May 17, 2012, 06:05:42 AM »
I won't us UPS for that reason.  They do all they can to not pay for damage caused by them.  I use fedex home delivery.  Normally it's cheaper anyway.

jspain

« Reply #613 on: May 17, 2012, 07:11:39 PM »
OK, trying to put the shipping issue behind.... UPS called and are sending someone out to take a look. It'll be interesting. I'm just thankful Ms. Lussia seems to be operating OK. Just operator issues right now.

I've done about 20 shots. I went back tonight and read the comments again and watched the vids again. I've decided I'm trying for too much volume and over dosing. I'm going to cut back to 14 g as Shaun suggests, tighten the grind a bit more, and I'm doing a blend of Eth Yirg/El Sal Las Delicious. Looking for the slower, smaller shot with more creama and sweet. Haven't found it yet. I'll report back in another 20 shots... I'm looking for the extra portafilter to make it here so that I can go bottomless! I got to believe that will help a bunch in this process??

BTW, I've stuck with Shaun's method and no John F "Voodo Magic" yet...!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #614 on: May 17, 2012, 07:15:58 PM »
When there is as choice always follow Mr. Roboto unless you like flirting with disaster.
 ;)

Lee Morrison